This was the second to last week of my internship as a software engineering intern in One Drive and SharePoint at Microsoft. I was drafting my final project presentation slides when I asked myself what I could change about my internship experience if I would start it all over. One thing I would change about my internship is not spending so much time on the engineering design document and trying to understand all the tiny details of how my project was to work together. My initial plan was to spend about two instead of three weeks writing the engineering design document for my project. I spent more time trying to confirm that the approach I presented in the document was an approach that worked with the project I was building my solution off. However, having a close to working approach did not matter during my engineering design document review session. My manager and team really wanted me to have thought through the bigger-picture parts of my project and not the tiny details. Since ...
My first day as a Software engineering intern at Microsoft This is my first week as a Software Engineering intern with the OneDrive and SharePoint team. I am in the orientation and setup phase of the internship where I attend different intern orientation sessions along-side setting up my development machine. One of my internship goals is to apply Computer Science concepts to build an end-to-end product that I will ship from development to production. This is my third internship with Microsoft. Unlike the previous internships where I worked in teams of at least three interns, this will be my first time working on an entire project alone; alone in a sense that I will be the only software engineer directly contributing to the project. Working on an end-to-end project in an internship alone is both exciting and frightening. I am excited to measure all the software development skills that I have acquired through the in and out of class projects at Berea College and in my previous in...
Prior to my internship, there was no implementation of my team’s feature in any mobile clients. This meant that if a customer used the feature in web or desktop Microsoft applications, they would not have the same user experience using Microsoft mobile applications. For example, in Microsoft Teams Web and Desktop, a Viva Topic in a chat conversation is formatted and made the topic clickable, yet the same Viva Topics show as plain text in Microsoft Teams Android and iOS. Lacking feature parity between web, desktop, and mobile clients of the same application is very frustrating to customers. My internship project implements the first mobile version of my team’s feature to support Viva Topics in mobile clients. I implemented the feature for Microsoft Teams mobile clients. I built a react-native component to support reusing the same feature across Android and iOS. Then, I added the Android native code to use the react-native component of the feature. Additionally, I will be adding ...
Comments
Post a Comment